2008/09/29

Dying fabric in black

For my next project, I needed black canvas.

I looked in a few nearby stores but couldn't find any, and the shipping costs of internet shopping to my home are ridiculous since most stores are located in the US or UK.

For a more economical solution I decided to try dying a few pieces of white Aida myself, so I bought a box of black Tintex at the dollar store (cost : 1$).

Following the instructions on the box, I let the fabric soak in the dye for 3 hours, so the color would be as intense as possible. Then I rince and let dry.

After a good ironing I notice that the 3 pieces are not the exact same tone of black. The large one looks more of a very dark blue, and the small ones seems more black. The original fabrics were probably not the same to start with.

But since the color on each is very dark and even (except for a small spot) it seem perfectly suitable. I am quite satisfied and I just hope that the color will stay and not fade when I work... Time will tell...

I am now ready to start another new project... to be revealled soon....

No comments:

Blog Archive