2008/09/29

Frames

Since I work exclusively on large projects, I prefer to use rectangular wooden scroll frames because they don't tear the fabric like a circular frame would do.

I build the frames myself so I can have many different sizes according to my needs. It it quite simple, a few pieces of wood, hardware, a little manual dexterity and you get custom made frames, very unexpensive.

Another advantage of these frames, is that the fabric is tightly sewn to the ribbon on each horizontal rod, so it stays very still and rigid while I work. This is specially important since it takes months to finish a single piece.

Some frames are pretty large and can be heavy to hold while stitching. I used to have wrist pain when I worked for many hours at a time. To avoid that, I build stands to support the weight of the frames while freeing my hands.

For 18" frames, I use a tray-stand. The frame is fixed on the left side and I can put my accessories in the tray. I can work sitting comfortably on the couch with this stand resting on my thighs. Perfect when watching TV in the living room.

For 24" or more frames, I use a floor stand. The frame is fixed on both sides for a better balance. This stand can be adjusted to the height of the chair I sit on, and to the width of the frame I use. It is lightweight and easy to handle.

No comments:

Blog Archive